Proverbs 31:27

"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:27

Thursday, October 27, 2011

No Mediocre Pumpkin Pie




Good Morning, Y'all!
I must first admit that my youngest sister is amazing and has inspired me to be creative. She and her bf have conquered the challenge of "extreme couponing," and they are a bit crafty themselves. Reading her blog is like having coffee with her. I don't get to have coffee with my lil sis because she lives 4+ hours away. But I can enjoy my coffee as I read about my niece and nephew, scroll through the newest craft project, or ponder a delicious recipe. So, I publicly want to thank my sis for sparking this in me. Thanks Love!

Like I mentioned earlier this week, my birthday is Sunday. Every year at this time I crave my grandma's pumpkin pie. It is not the usual pumpkin pie. So, this year instead of asking my mom to make me one of grandma's special pumpkin pies, I asked for the recipe. Although I could keep this treasure to myself, I choose to share it with the world. YOU!



Grandma's Special Pumpkin Pie


Important step: Use light/pale pumpkins. (I was a little overzealous and bought two the size of basketballs. We ended up with plenty of pumpkin.) You must first cook your pumpkin before you can make your pies.

Here's how:
Cut pumpkin in half and scrape out the seeds and strings (as my kids call them, guts.) Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 325 degrees F until good and soft. You will find that a lot of water will be collected in the hollow of the pumpkin, so be careful when you remove the pumpkin from the oven. Pour out the excess water. (We celebrated our pumpkin cooking by tasting the pumpkin water...pumpkin tea. It's okay. Tastes like pumpkin. :)) Let the cooked pumpkin cool. Once it is cool enough to touch you should be able to just peel the rind/skin right off with no trouble. Put your freshly peeled pumpkin in a strainer and let the rest of the water drain off. This may take awhile. (We cooked the pumpkins one day and baked the pies the next.)

Pie filling ingredients: 3 cups cooked pumpkin (light/pale orange pumpkins only) 3 eggs 2 cups sugar 3 tbsp butter (not margarine) 1/4 c self-rising flour 3 tbsp lemon flavoring Blend all ingredients thoroughly, may be slightly lumpy. Set aside.

Crust ingredients: (you can use regular frozen pie crusts, if you prefer.) 2 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour 1 cup of butter 1 tsp of salt 1 tsp of sugar 6-8 tbsp of ice cold water. *I use self-rising flour and omit the salt. Mix ingredients together until dough forms. Pour out onto a floured surface for rolling. (Make sure your hands and rolling pin are floured, too.) Roll dough out in the desired shape. (Some people like the traditional pie crusts, I prefer rolling it out like a pizza crust, more pie that way.) You want your crust to be thin, maybe 1/8-1/4 of an inch thick. If you are making a pumpkin pizza pie, be sure to roll up the edges to hold the pie filling.

Pour in pie filling and smooth out evenly. Bake at 350 degrees F until crust is golden brown. (if you have a thicker crust, make sure to bake it longer to ensure proper "done-ness." I enjoy my pie slice right out of the oven, but it is delicious cold, too. Hope you enjoy this recipe like I do. A little bit of heaven on earth :) YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment